Question : Problem: Linksys WRT54GC and WAP54G in AP Client mode?

Heeeeeeelp :)

I have two Linksys gadgets...
One is a WRT54GC router - fine and small piece of hardware
Another one is an Linksys WAP54G Access Point.

I would like to connect these two so there is a wireless connection between them. This way I will be able to connect my printer over RJ45 on the AP.

But there is a little trouble.

Although the AP sees the WiFi network it does not connect and the MAC address of the router is written in red. I have checked the manual but it suggests buying another AP! But the suggested config is with a wired router not a WiFi one as I do already own.

There is light in the tunnel:
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Access_Points&message.id=2976&query.id=155528

So I now know it is possible.

Can anyone help?

My router IP is 192.168.2.1
My AP IP: 192.168.2.245, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.2.1

Sincerely,
The Terrible Johnny

Answer : Problem: Linksys WRT54GC and WAP54G in AP Client mode?

Hi potworny,

The link you showed only mentions one person who had it working. No version numbers of the WRT54GC or WAP54G were mentioned, neither were firmware versions so it's rather useless to guess what the used setup was, there are four different versions of the WAP54G and two versions of the WRT54GC let alone the amount of different firmware versions.
The screenshot I posted was to show you that Linksys does not support this setup and so what you've attempted to do was kind of a try without a future. You can call it "Linksys Disasters", I'd rather call it a "setup problem found by trial-and-error" as you're trying to use a device in a way it was not intended by Linksys to operate.

Regards,

LucF
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us