Question : Problem: No image displayed on Microtek ScanMaker 4900 scanner

I'm trying to install a Microtek ScanMaker 4900 on an IBM 300PL desktop PC running Windows XP Home. The scanner won't produce an image, not even a Preview.  

I've installed the latest version of ScanWizard 5 (v6.20). I'm not sure the system recognizes the specific scanner I'm installing. I'm not sure the correct driver is installed. I couldn't get the system to accept any
Microtek drivers for this scanner.

Device Manager, under Imaging devices, identifies the scanner as USB2400 Scanner #2, working properly. It shows the driver as USB2400 Scanner #2 as well. The system won't accept any Microtek drivers for this scanner that I've tried to install.

When I press "Preview", the scanner seems to go through the motions of scanning some 8 x 10 photos I've tried to scan. It flashes a large black rectangle where the preview image should appear, then the preview window replaces that with tiny blue dots on a white background. That's all that is ever displayed.

This is my first effort to install and use a scanner. I don't know whether the scanner is defective or if it's just a difficult install. I've been careful to remove and install related software with the scanner disconnected from power and it's USB cable removed from the PC. I've run RegClean and remove prior scanner software before installing more recent software.  

Answer : Problem: No image displayed on Microtek ScanMaker 4900 scanner

Okay - can you have a look at System Information - and see what the device id of your scanner is - then you may be able to search for a more suited driver.

Go to start, run, type msinfo32

If your scanner is usb - go to System Summary\Components\USB (otherwise Components\Ports\Serial or Parallel)
If you have a look at the right-hand window - you should see a scanner model listed

(this is what appears on the PC I am typing this on)

HP Scanjet 4800 series      USB\VID_03F0&PID_1B05\CN682TA21P

If you search for "PID_1B05" (in case - you will find that this is listed as an HP Scanjet 4800 (as listed)

Search for your PID number in google - and see what you get - if you don't find a suitable page with driver info - please post up your entry - and I can take a look...

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us