Question : Problem: How to get backup exec to overwrite tapes created on another backup program?

Hi there,
I have a new installation of Backup Exec 10.0 on a Win2K server.  Just trying to backup some files on the server.  The problem is when the scheduled backup tries to run, it won't overwrite tapes that were made previously with Windows Backup.  The last thing I have tried was to click on "Media and move the tape to a backup set that I have created.  Trouble is, when I try to do that operation, I get an error message that says " cannot move, tape is in use and mounted"  Have any soulutions to my problem?  I am somewhat familiar with Backup Exec, I used it in my previous job, but never configured anything new, just used the restore features.  Thanks for the help.

Answer : Problem: How to get backup exec to overwrite tapes created on another backup program?

You could try one of two things.
Go into Tools/Options/Media Management. At the right you have a checkbox with label "Prompt before overwriting imported media". Make sure this is unchecked.
Otherwise go into the Devices in the Backup Exec GUI, right-click the tape drive you've inserted the tape into and choose "Quick Erase". Make sure cancel all other jobs before doing the "Quick Erase".
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us