Question : Problem: How do I create a recovery partition like the ones that come with pre built systems?

I purchased a dell laptop and it did not come with a recovery partion or disks, I am getting dell to send me the windows OS, but they do not include the system drivers for the system. I have restored a dell desktop computer before and all I had to do was press a certain key sequence at bootup and the system went into the recovery process. I want to do the same I have Norton Ghost it works great, but I must put the cd in to do a recovery and I want it setup so that I do not have to use a cd. I can get the drivers from dells site, but they are all seperate install files.

Answer : Problem: How do I create a recovery partition like the ones that come with pre built systems?

well the it depends where you want to be able to activate the  'key combo', but if it should be available right after turning on the pc, then this will have to be implemented in the bios. This is obviously a question of implementation by the hardware vendor. So it is either already implemented or it is not. (in the last case there is zero chance to install something making it work ...)

An other way to get around the hardware limitation is to install a second operating system on an additional partition containing a full operating system utilized for backup only (the cheap solution).

The more expensive solution would be to buy some software that installs a backup area on the disks and an extra boot menu option that allows to start the restore - There are many products out there that claim that they can do such a thing, if you need some pointers, (e.g Acronis Trueimage http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/)

An optional solution is to buy one of those hardware restore card that automatically reserve recovery diskspace on the disk and monitor the changes and write them into some sort of temporary area on the disk. During boot you then can decide to revert any changes done to the OS or to continue with the changes or to commit them. Probably this is the 'one' press restore option you are looking for (and it's transparent to the operating system)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us