Question : Problem: Adding a 4th drive to Array while server running - Hot Swap

I currently have a HP ML350 G4p server with 3x146GB SCSI drives on a Compaq Array 641 controller set up with RAID5.  I have replaced one hdd already and now that was is warning of failure.

My question is can I add a 4th drive to the server while running without getting a  blue screening or it doing something else?  I will then reconfigure the array with the HP ACU utility and once the rebuild process is done then I can take the failing drive offline to replace it.

I want to do this rather than having to take down my server due to it being my primary data server which people need to work on.  If I can add the 4th drive while the server is running without any ill effects then it will save me time.

I guess I am paranoid about the server running while adding a hard drive as the last time I pulled one it killed my server and I had to rebuild the OS logical drive by formatting it but I got lucky as my data was intact.

Answer : Problem: Adding a 4th drive to Array while server running - Hot Swap

If you install correctly, put the drive into hot plug then you should have no problem.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_Division/12262_div_v1/12262_div.PDF
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us