Question : Problem: Configuring QoS on SonicWall TZ190 for VoIP over VPN

I have recently set up a network connecting 3 physical locations (1 location has servers, other 2 locations have only workstations and VoIP phones) using SonicWall TZ190 units as border routers.

All 3 physical locations are connected logically via a VPN tunnel.

My problem is that I do not have enough working knowledge of QoS (and more specifically as implemented on the SonicWall TZ190 device).

I have attached a "code snippet" as a basic diagram of the network layout.  There will be VoIP phones in all 3 locations, and the Asterisk (VoIP) server is located in the 172.16.1.0/24 network.

"Server Location" has a cable connection (16 mbit x 2 mbit).
"Remote Office 1" has a DSL connection (6 mbit x 768 kbit).
"Remote Office 2" has a cable connection (16 mbit x 2 mbit).

We are going to have around 10 phones total across all 3 locations, along with 2 other Windows 2003 based servers.  The Windows 2003 servers are online currently and it's almost impossible to tell that they aren't at the same physical location.

However, if anyone puts a load on the connection the VoIP gets choppy.  So I need to implement QoS on the SonicWall devices, and to be totally honest... I have no idea how to do it properly as this is my first roll out using SonicWall devices.

So... here I am asking for help...

(Thanks in advance!)
Code Snippet:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
Remote Office 1 - LAN (172.16.2.0/24) -----|
                                           | <-(VPN)
Server Location - LAN (172.16.1.0/24) -----|
                                           | <-(VPN)
Remote Office 2 - LAN (172.16.5.0/24) -----|
Open in New Window Select All

Answer : Problem: Configuring QoS on SonicWall TZ190 for VoIP over VPN

Actually i just got off the phone with sonicwall.  I was mistaken regarding the input/output source/destination rules.  The outbound rule on the remote site and the inbound rule on the main site.. are the only QoS rules needed.  The Sonicwalls automatically apply the rules based on the original sender.  So if the server is replying.. it uses the incoming rule from the main site.

So just create the rule for outgoing on the tz190 and incoming on the main site firewall.  The DSCP should prioritize when there is a backup ... or blip as you put it

:)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us