Question : Problem: USB-drive and win95

I have a USB-drive, the "DiskOnKey" of the company M-Systems and now I sometimes need it on a Win95-machine, but it doesn't work here. Does anyone have a solution for this problem???

Answer : Problem: USB-drive and win95

As previosuly stated, W95/OSR2 DOES fully support USB, where the problem came in was that some motherboard makers didn't support the windoze patch version of USB for OSR2. As also previously noted, you will need to enable an interupt (IRQ) in your CMOS setup.  If you have a lot of 'legacy' expansion cards, you MAY not have an IRQ available.  Win 95 cannot share an IRQ across the 3 (2 if you don't have AGP) different buses like 98 can and likely if you are still using 95, your motherboard likely won't have the chipset to allow it even if you had 98x without a BIOS update.  This will also be a problem if your expansion cards are all 'hard' set for address and IRQ - jumpers and/or software setup for IRQ.

To find out IF you have an available IRQ, right click on My Computer, look under the hardware tab and switch to 'Display by connection - that will list which IRQ is in use and by what, you may need to remove one of your 'legacy' cards in order to have an available IRQ for USB.  If you don't need any of the following ports, you can disable them in you CMOS as well to get more available IRQ. DEPENDING on YOUR CMOS setup, the following ports MAY be available to disable in your CMOS: serial ports, second printer ports, joystick port, MIDI port, legacy sound card emulation ports.  Some of these MAY be on the motherboard using Berg connectors and jumpers (little gold pins with black plastic shorting clips) or on any Multi I/O (input/output) card, if you have the IO on a card rather than on the MB.  Get the manual for your motherboard and read what can and cannot be set and where.  Without a manual, it will be tough.  Hope this helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us