Question : Problem: Backup Exec 10.0: Backup device disappeared

Hi

Running Backup Exec 10.0 with latest service packs and patches and it has been running smoothly for a couple of months (the tape drive -a Hp dat72, is recently new) on Win2k server. Suddenly backup fails because no device is available. Now nothing appears under "storage devices" and the device wizard does not identify any tape when I run it. In device manager it appears OK.

Have tried the following:
Reinstalled HP tape drivers to no avail.
Moved the tape drive to other server and tested windows backup - no problems in backup up to the tape from here.
Returned tape back to original server and tested windows backup here - no problems, yet Backup Exec still did not recognise the drive. (Tried to remove the "enable drive" tick box in removable storage - also to no avail)

Removed drivers again and re-installed HP tape drivers -no avail
Removed HP drivers and Installed Veritas driver package to no avail. Now Windows Backup will not run, but I assume this is because Veritas drivers give Backup exec exclusive and direct access to the drive.

Following the install of Veritas driver package, Removable storage hangs when opening mmc - removable storage

Any suggestions to how I can make this tape drive reappear in Backup Exec?

Answer : Problem: Backup Exec 10.0: Backup device disappeared

Also make sure the tape drive isn't connected to the same controller to which Harddisks are attached.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us