Question : Problem: Trouble with PRIMAX Colorado Scanner

I have a PRIMAX Colorado Direct Scanner. It's connected to the Parallelport where I used to have a printer. The software finds the scanner and it's warmed up. Then when I want to scan/preview, the light inside the scanner turns on and off and nothing happends. After a few seconds I get an error message: "DrvStartScan: ERROR". I've tried to change the BIOS for the port but it only recognizes the scanner in "Compatible" mode.
I've also noticed that when the power-adaptor is unplugged the green light on the scanner is on, but every now and then it blinks as if the conection to the parallel port is cut of.
--- Jinks

Answer : Problem: Trouble with PRIMAX Colorado Scanner

I know K5 have had some other wierd problems, but who knows?  I'm surprised if there's no shipping lock on the scanner at all, by the way.  Make sure you don't have a sound card or some such device using IRQ7.  Contrary to somebody's popular belief, EPP DOES use the IRQ.  In fact, in LPT mode, windows will not report an IRQ, but having a conflict with that IRQ (7) will cause problems anyway, especially with devices that really do communications.  If the port is in EPP mode, windows will report an IRQ (I believe)  The IRQ will AT LEAST be used.  In ECP mode, the port uses an IRQ and DMA channel.  First, remove the port from device manager.  Remove the scanner driver, too.  Shut down, go to CMOS, set your parallel port mode, and at this time, you should also make sure you don't have any IRQ7 conflicts (and DMA if using ECP), restart Windows.  Allow the port to be re-detected and installed.  Then install the scanner driver.  I can't imagine it not working after that...  I can fear it, but I can't imagine it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us