Question : Problem: Invalid Character Set

Regards to everybody :-)

I have a NEC ValueStar (Pentium(r)) with win 95 japanese character set. I wish to update the character set to win 95 English version. Id already done the following, but stil failed:

1.) Update OS to English version using CD-Rom
2.) Id Try to look for the CMOS setup, but F2 and other key combination doesnt seem to work for me to enter the CMOS setup. I want to check in the CMOS if the default OS is for win 95 japanese only.
3.) Id end up formatting my hard drive, and tried to boot from a floopy with win 95 English ver. Still doesnt work, no responds at all. But when I used to boot from the emergency disk Ive created in the win 95 japanese ch set, it will boot successfuly to command prompt.

Is it advisable that I will reset the BIOS to its company default by draining the battery or shorting the jumper? Is my last choice to update the BIOS? What BIOS version would I have to used? Id tried downloading the BIOS update for NEC Valuestar (I dont know specifically the model or part no. for it is all written in Japanese) but end up with nothing.

An idea or comment will be much appreciated . Or an angel out there can find a solution?. .  :-) Thank you very much.

Answer : Problem: Invalid Character Set

Hi Phoenixric,
Have been waiting for our Japanese colleague to complete (come back to us) with his findings.

The NEC Valuestars with Pentiums were more protected than the original 486 models. NEC were trying to ensure that they were holding onto their base and not allowing any other PCs to interact with them. They had their own version of windows  - NEC Windows 3 and 95,
this was absolutely tied to their PCs and bios,
and as you suspect the BIOS is all in Japanese
the printer ports were totally non industry standard
and only NEC specific printers could work with them,
all components were hard soldered inc BIOS so there was no substituting

All in all, according to Yaz, not worth pursuing for Western users at all. He beleives it would be almost impossible to get 95 for that PC outside of Japan. You would need a contact in Japan to try auction pages (cos it would be in japanese).

He concludes that it would start to cost to get it back operating again with NEC windows and unless you want it to learn Japanese (and there are cheaper ways for this)  use the bits you can and dump,  or if someone is building a "collection" give it to them.

Sorry,   we've tried more than most to break into this one but I have to admit defeat.

Been nice discussing this with you.
Regards
Multihull
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us