Question : Problem: overclocking intel celeron 366

Hi im new to this. I tried to overclock my cpu up to higher speed. My mainboard is Matsonic  MS7192s and it supports 66 and 100 mhz bus. my default bois setting was cpu 366mhz, bus 66mhz, and mutiple automatically set. I changed bus setting to 100mhz thru the jumpers and my setting changed to 500mhz cpu speed, and the mutiple was automatically set.  Ok now my win98 wont boot, so i set the cpu speed down to 400 and still no help. so i changed my bus speed back to 66mhz but set my cpu speed to 450mhz. everything worked fine accept the temperature went up real high.
1. Have I overclocked my cpu?
2. What are the best settings for my system
3. How do I install the 2nd heatsink(is this the cpu fan?)
4. How do I set my voltage up higher
5. What's the best option for cooling down the system?
6. If something goes wrong, what would happen to my system? (harddisk, cpu, memory, etc,)
hope u guys understand my question, thanks in advance

Answer : Problem: overclocking intel celeron 366

wow so many questions so little time...
just kidding, anyway let me try to answer each question as it's put,

>I've just found out that the bus speed can be changed to 75, 85. Would this make any better to the overclock settings?

in my last post I said:
"your addon cards won't be affected either because your motherbaord supports 100mhz bus and you aren't running it a a weird bus speed like 115mhz or 83mhz.(this would cause stress because of the actual mhz speed they would run at after the 1/3 clock divider got thru with the motherboard speed.)"
if you run at a bus speed of 75 to 85 then you could get some lockups because of the irregular motherboard speed your addon cards will see(it looks like you won't though if you have been able to get it working at 468 (85mhz x 5.5)
pci cards run at a bus speed of 33mhz, when you run your motherboard at 66mhz(info is sent to and from the cpu-ram at this speed) the mother board divides this info speed by 1/2 and delivers the info at 33mhz to the pci bus, when you run your motherboard at 100mhz the motherboard divides it by 1/3 so the pci bus still sees 33mhz, when you run at the mother board at 75 or 85mhz then the motherboard divides this speed by 1/2 and delivers 37.5 and 42.5mhz respectively tyo the pci bus, the normal specification for the bus is 33mhz +/- a few mhz so at 75 mhz motherboard bus speed it isn' too far of a strech for the pci cards but at 85 it can be a little taxing, since the cards are running at an accelerated rate the over all life of the card is diminished.

>About the cooling fan, I have some kinda metal bit that's above the cpu then the fan. Would I need a new cooling fan? or can I just put in another one and if so how and where in mainboard?

if you are worried about your cpu temp then you could look into an active cooling cpu fan, there are special ones made for overclocking, or you could add a fan inside the case or in a drive bay(special made, check Fry's) to reduce the overall heat in your system thus allowing your ccpu to dissipate more heat.

>Would pc 100 and pc130 ram work on a 66mhz bus?

yes, PC100 and PC133 memory is rated to work at UP-TO 100 and 133 mhz bus speeds.

>I tried to boot up win98 on a 100mhz bus and i got this msg that said something about xms memory thing. Is this something to do with pc66mhz ram?

yes your memory is most likely only rated for up to 66mhz bus speed. if it was PC100 it should work fine.

>I've overclocked 366 to around 468 (85mhz x 5.5) and everything worked fine apart from the temperature of the cpu, so how do I know if I need to increase the voltage?

if you set your motherboard to these settings and it didn't work then you could of tried to up the voltage but since it worked it should be fine(run you system for a couple of hours and see if it locks up, if so, you could always try to increse the voltage but beware that it could fry your cpu)

>I cannot any jumpers for the voltage and it's not in the bios as well.

sounds like you can't adjust it so you'll have to make do with the preset voltage.

>:( I was running at 468mhz and my agp was going real hot, how do I cool that down?

you could put a fan on the cpu chip(like a pentium cpu fan), I did this and it helps. you should get help doing this though, there are a lot of online pages that document this.

>One last question how can you tell if the SDRAM is a pc66 or pc100.

unless you bought the ram yourself you don't know for sure and would have to go to the manufactuer of your system to find out. a good sign that it is not pc100 is that it will not boot if the system is set to 100mhz bus speed.

>In my bios set up there's an option for bank DRAM timing and the settings were at SDRAM 8 ns, What's the difference between 8 and 10ns.

About 2ns.

hehe seriously, usually 66mhz memory started out at 10ns and then some came out at 8ns, normally all standard PC100 and PC133 are 8ns or less, it is pretty much a performance issue to tweak every last bit of power from your system, if your memory can run at 8ns then go for it. the setting in your BIOS is porbably there so if you have 10ns memory your motherboard will support it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us