Question : Problem: Veritas backup exec catalog files keep becoming corrupted

On a Win server 2003, with SQL 2000 installed, Veritas 9.1 backing up to a media set of 5 usb hard drives, rotated nightly.  I am also backing up 3 pc's over the network using the remote back exec services; those seem to run fine, as the only errors are corrupt catalog files in the backup exec program folder (%program files%\veritas\backupexec\nt\ ).

The catalog files keep becoming corrupted, causing backup job to fail.  this happened once a month up until 2 months ago, then once every 2 weeks, now once a week.  The day does not matter, as it happens on different days of the week, and the usb HD plugged doesn't seem to matter, as it has happened to different HD's (day 1 HD, day 4 HD, day 5 HD).  I have left day 2 HD in for a week (i know, i broke my rotation), catalog corruption still occured.  I have ran spin rite on the HD's and Seagate's HD diagnostic tool, everything appears to be fine with the external HD's.  I have updated Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 to the latest updates released for the version, and have updated Win Serv 2003 as well.

I know how to fix the problem after it happens (rename catalog and rerun backup).  I need direction how to keep catalog files from becoming corrupt as this is getting annoying.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Veritas backup exec catalog files keep becoming corrupted

I hope I have found the fix to the problem.  the log for the job the last time the catalog files became corrupted had one entry about symantec temporary files being skipped.  I read on a symantec forum that excluding symantec program files from the backup job may sove any problems with backing up.  

I excluded the symantec program files, and the app data folders where symantec's temp files are stored, and have not had the 'corrupted catalog files' error since 8-15-08.  I will continue to monitor, but hopefully this is taken care of.

Thanks for all the help
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us