Question : Problem: Computer Freezes after BIOS start up

I have a strange problem I hope someone can help me with.

I inherited an old business computer which had the integrated sound card turned off in the BIOS setup.  I entered the BIOS setup and change the sound card to on.  When the computer rebooted the sound was still not working.  So I rebooted again and tried to enter setup again.  I pressed f2 and the BIOS setup screen said "Enter Setup".   However, the computer just froze after displaying the BIOS startup screen.  The floppy drive turned on briefly and the monitor just displayed a blinking cursor.  I also noticed that the BIOS start up screen took longer than usual to finish.  The post test seems to be finishing properly because the keyboard lights flicker and the floppy drive lights up.  The computer does not make any error beeps (or even the usual single beep).  The system is a Dell GX1p, with Pheonix BIOS version A06.  Also, I am unable to boot from a floppy.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Timoteo

Answer : Problem: Computer Freezes after BIOS start up

Is there another sound board, or sound on another board, or interface card that may be causing conflict with the onboard sound?

Remove all interface cards to see if you can get back into BIOS to turn the onboard off again...

cheers
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us