Question : Problem: Connecting two Computers?

I have a laptop with USB II and I would like to connect to another PC with USB I to transfer files. Can I do this? what cable do I need?

Answer : Problem: Connecting two Computers?

As has been said the easiest way is to do it over network (LAN) Most laptops have built in network cards these days, and many PCs have them either built in or on a card. If you don't have a network card in the PC - they are pretty cheap, and you'll probably want one if you are going to be using cable modem or DSL at home in the future.

If you are going directly from one pc to the other, you need a "crossover" cable. You can get this at any local computer store or office supply store. just ask the salesman if you can't find it.

Connect the 2 pc's directly to each other, and then you'll need to give them IP addresses on the same subnet. It won't matter what you choose, but for simplicity, lets user 192.168.0.x - since that is very common.

(I'm assuming both are windows here. if linux or mac, it will be a bit different - just let me know)

Open up My Network Places and then get to the "Network Connections" page. You can select the icon for you network adapter and then select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and then press the "properties" button.

Select the radio button for "Use The Following IP Address" and set the IP of one machine to 192.168.0.1
subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
default gateway (you can leave this blank)

you can leave the rest blank as well. then click "ok" enough times to get all those dialogs you opened all closed up. Now repeat on the second machine, but make sure to change the IP to something different like 192.168.0.2

Now you can connect from one machine to the next. Depending on what version of windows you are running there are different ways to share files between the 2. I'm going to assume you have windows 2000 or XP since that is most common these days.

To keep it simple: you can connect from one machine to the next by opening up the START - RUN box and typing

\\192.168.0.1\c$  

this of course would be from 192.168.0.2 - just do the opposite address as the one that you are on.

you will be prompted for the username and password from the remote machine. enter that information ( would be easiest to just use the administrator account, and since you are not on any internet, security is not an issue here)

now you should be able to just drag and drop files from one to the other.

good luck.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us