Question : Problem: T1 Demarc Extension From Smart Jack - Cross Connect - Server Room Wiring

I am having a second T1 Point-to-Point line added to my existing Point-to-Point so I can bundle with MLPPP.  Unfortuately, I may have to extend the Demarc if no one is hired for the job.  I have never done this and am not quite sure if I am thinking about this correctly. (hopefully I am using the correct terms here)  The smart jack is located in the basement of our building and there is a cross connect from the basement room to a mechanical room on our floor.

I believe the Verizon installer said I would need an rj48x connected to the smart jack, and then punch down to the block.  Am I correct in assuming if I punch down at position 20 in the basement, I would punch down at position 20 in the mechanical room?   Basically, should the block numbers correlate in the basement and mechanical room?  

Also,  I am wondering if I am able to use 568b cat5e and an rj45 instead of the rj48x.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer : Problem: T1 Demarc Extension From Smart Jack - Cross Connect - Server Room Wiring

typically, yes, the positions on both blocks should be consistent.  I suggest you use a tone generator on one end and a tone finding wand on the other to verify this...  you could also use any device that would send current through one pair that you could test on the other (e.g. a 9 volt battery on one end and a volt meter on the other.)  The trouble with improvised testing tools is the "what if" factor.  What if you inadvertently have equipment plugged into the wires on the other end of the terminals your testing... you could theoretically risk damaging that equipment.

the cable you described should work fine (so far as I know.)

With regard to the jack you employ, I want to say it really doesn't matter so long as you properly arrange the wires so the pins are correctly connected...  I want to say 4 wire t1's use 1,2,4,5, but you may want to google to verify this.

I realize my response isn't an answer to your question, but it may be useful none the less.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us