Question : Problem: Fax problem sharing with phone

I have a client who sends us a high volume of faxes. Some of these faxes are 20+ pages. Most arrive ok, however some are only partially recieved. We have checked with our carrier and even replaced our equipment to rule out a problem at our end. We recieve a high volume of faxes from dozens of other clients without problem.

My question relates to the fact that this client shares their phone line with their fax line. This isn't uncommon, but could this be the cause of the problems we're having? Ideally I'd like pointers to reference material on this topic. Of course first hand experience with thus would be even better :)

Thankyou in advance
Cee

Answer : Problem: Fax problem sharing with phone

The phone line would only be an issue if someone picks up the phone. If a call comes in it would just get an engaged signal and the fax would be none-the-wiser.

I don't have material to reference you to, but this was the most common problem whilst I was working for one of the major companies that made fax machines.

The only other things I could suggest would be to:
1. Do a MOLDS test (Or equivilient in your country) on the line and see if there is any interference, get the other company to do the same.

2. If you're routing through a PABX, check with the manifacturer if there are known issues. Otherwise, check anything on your side of the demarcation point for wiring faults, excess cabling. etc.

3. Set your Fax machines to a lower speed. There may be an issue with autonegotiation if the equipment is running newer proprietry fax modem technology.  If they are both G3/G4 compat, there shouldn't be a problem.

4. Install a dedicated fax line.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us