Question : Problem: Intermittent Connection Loss

I have a LINKSYS,  WRLS G  Router, WRT54GS, W/SPEED and a SONY LAPTOP WITH HIGH SPEED CARD running VISTA OPERATING SYSTEM. My ISP is COMCAST CABLE, HIGH SPEED. My desktop computer is a cabled connection running Windows XP. I had a working router for three weeks after we bought our laptop at Best Buy. The Geek Squad installed the router. Then I couldn't get on the internet until I by-passed the router using just the cable. So I exchanged the router last week and tried to install with aid from the Linksys techs, but I kept loosing them. So now the hard wired computer works with the router, but have no signal to the laptop. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Robert

Answer : Problem: Intermittent Connection Loss

if you have a new linksys router, you may need to get into the router configuration page and turn on the wireless functionality. the manual should tell you whether the page is 10.1.1.1 or 192.169.0.1 or something else.

if the wireless is enabled and you have security enabled, you may have a misconfigured password entered. in any case on your laptop - click start --> cmd (in the run window) and press enter. type 'ipconfig' (without quotes) in the black cmd window and see if the laptop is picking up an ip address at all. if it isn't, then the connection is not being established wirelessly.

if you do have an ip address, then there is a setting from inside the laptop itself that needs to be changed.. check that you are not using a proxy server in your internet options / connections / lan settings...

in essence we would need some more information regarding any error messages that come up from the laptop so we can narrow this down.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us