Question : Problem: How do I find out if I have RAID installed on a computer

Hi,
This is kind of a general question.  But say you are given the task of looking after a machine, and want to know how it is setup for RAID (I have found RAID controllers on it) where would I look to see where they are configured...on W2K and XP Pro.  For instance, my home machine is setup for RAID 0 (the disk mirror one) but where would I look to actually see this info for sure - preferably without rebooting it.  Thanks.  Pete.

Answer : Problem: How do I find out if I have RAID installed on a computer

you can tell on your PE2600 if you have raid if you go to bios (f2 on the dell screen), integrated devices, and you can change onboard SCSI controller to "raid enabled" and channels A and/or B to "raid" instead of scsi.  If you have a raid controller it's probably a PERC4/di (this is the onboard controller used by the 2600)  You can physically check inside the system to see if the components are in there....if they are there should be a square battery pack mounted to the inside top of the case, also there is one memory slot that is set off from the rest, if there is a DIMM in there, you probably have RAID (PERC 4/di), there is also a short blue colored slot that a piece called the raid key goes into...if there is a chip in there, you have RAID, if not, you probably don't....unless of course you have an expansion card RAID controller in the system....which is possible.
A pretty good hint is if when you are booting up it gives you an option to press "control + M", you have raid...if it only gives you control + A, you either only have scsi or your bios settings are on scsi and need to be changed to raid.
CAUTION:
If you have the raid hardware and decide to change the channels from scsi mode to raid mode, backup your data first because this will most likely cause you to not be able to access the data.
If you don't have the physical components I mentioned, you can order them through the dell sales department...you can also get an expansion card (it supports clustering where the onboard RAID does not).
jeff
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us