Question : Problem: Backup/restore linux

Hi, which free backup and restore software can i use to backup my linux system and restore it to another pc.

Answer : Problem: Backup/restore linux

Yes, it is stubborn. And the problem is that we have to deal with GRUB; Grub is not Linux, it is the programme that loads Linux. Hence it cannot rely on Linux to get information on your system: it has to query that info itself from the BIOS and the MBR. And you can never be quite sure that what Grub sees is the same as what Linux sees.
That is why so many Linux guys hate Grub.

I put the commands in a numbered list to make sure I understand exactly what is going on:

1): root (hd0,1)
2): kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae root=/dev/sda2 resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a
3): initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae
4): boot

The "error 16" message comes after command #2, correct? And you have checked twice that the command was typed without any error, or blank space missing, or one blank too many etc?

Please scroll up to the post where you gave the results of the "fdisk -l" command.
You said they looked like this:
Device  Boot Start End   Blocks            Id     System
dev/sda1         1     261  2096451        82     Linux swap/Solaris
dev/sda2   *     262  2872  20972857   83      Linux
dev/sda2       2873  9729  55078852   83     LInux

Are you sure there were two(!) devices called "dev/sda2"??
I took it for a typo when I saw it. But if it confirms to be true, then we have a real problem. You will have to run the 'Repair Installation' option of the SuSE DVD.
I am usually reluctant to recommend this, because it completely takes over, cannot be controlled nor aborted, but if the issue is as grave, then you must let it do what it wants to do.

If, however, the second "sda2" was a typo, then we can try to fix the filesystem manually.
Boot into the Rescue System, root prompt (not GRUB!). Type:

fsck /dev/sda2

(should there be an error telling you to specify a filesystem type:
fsck -t ext3 /dev/sda2
)

Then let it check and repair, afterwards reboot into the root prompt, get into grub, and on the grub prompt type steps #1 - #4 again.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us