Question : Problem: how to build raid1 and raid5 in single server

I am trying to build a raid1 and raid5  using Adaptec SATA 2port and 4port
adapters in single server. I build servers with individual  arrays and configure to
work perfectly. But when I try to build raid1 and raid5 on a single main board  with both adapters  it gets
confused.Main board cannot identify second adapter.IRQ changes cannot be done. I am using a IBM x series mother board.  Can I build both arrays in a single computer? If so how? If not why? My requirement to do this is to install os in raid1 drive and data to be onraid5.  Please help me.

Answer : Problem: how to build raid1 and raid5 in single server

During POST you should be able to see the startup lines of the two controllers appear. They would then allow you to enter their configs. If you only see 1 line (for the 2 channel adaptor) then it suggests the following:

1. Hardware fault in either adaptor or PCI bus
2. Try moving the 4 channel to a different PCI slot. You don't say which IBM server you have but they come with at least 2 PCI buses. Make sure they are seperated (for performance if nothing else).

If you see both controllers during POST but not within the OS then this would point to a driver/firmware issue.

1. Update both cards with the latest firmware and also your server BIOS. servers sit in warehouses for months before shipping so are always running older firmware.

Finally, check your cabling from the controllers to the drives. If you have 5/6 drives installed in the server directly, then these will be running off a single SCSI cable so will only be connected to the one controller. Therefore, the single controller can create multiple volume sets (ie, RAID1 & RAID5).

Hope this helps
Barny

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us