Question : Problem: Nightly Data Backup - Using Veritas 9.1

Hello Experts!

Here's my question:  I run nightly backup jobs using Veritas 9.1.  I have two jobs that run.  1) Exchange Backup (mailboxes, information store, and public stores)  2) Nightly data backup, all files folders etc.  Both the jobs are very large.  If I am currently running a HP Storage WorksUltrium 230 (100/200) can I split this backup to use this drive and another WorksUltrium (200/400)?

So basically if I split the job, are these drives compatible to run with one another or do I need two identical drives?

Thanks experts.  You always make my job a bit easier!

Answer : Problem: Nightly Data Backup - Using Veritas 9.1

You should be able to split the jobs, but the trick for compatibility is this:  only use 100/200 tapes in the 200/400 drive.  Otherwise you can't put those tapes in the other drive and have them work.  The 200/400 drive should write to the standard (100/200) LTO tapes fine.  Also, network and processor throughput play a big role in backup efficiency.  You may want to bite the bullet and set up another backup server using the second tape drive.  That's the only way you'll come close to halving your backup time.

Travis
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us