Question : Problem: PC doesn't boot with 1GB memory chip

The computer is Sony Vaio VGC-RB41P
the current RAM is PC-3200, 2x256MB
I tried to install 2x1GB PC 3200 - but when I turn the computer on nothing happens - no sounds, no picture, nothing. The first time even the power supply went dead.

I order different memory and it happened again. Sony says the system can take up to 2GB but they can't tell me if it accepts chips bigger than 512MB. I assume it should accept as I have similar model (VGC-RB41P) which works fine with 2x1GB. I don
t want to waste any more days expecting a sensible answer from Sony - so if anyone has an idea what could be the problem, please let me know ASAP.

THANKS!

Answer : Problem: PC doesn't boot with 1GB memory chip

Sorry, I didn't notice that the other model you had was the same as the one you asked about. Flashing this one with the same BIOS version as the other has could help, but if the other one has an older BIOS I don't know if you'll be able to, sometimes you can't install older versions than what you have.

It could also be that 512MB sticks are all that's officially supported, and you just got lucky with the other Vaio, like maybe it has some seemingly minor internal difference that allows it to support 1GB sticks. I don't think there would be anything special about the 1GB sticks you have in the other Vaio, but maybe you could try them in this one too.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us