Question : Problem: Erratic Startup on Acer

This machine came in with the complain that it was not coming booting up. The fan would come on but the light in the power button and other lights would not come on. When I tried it came on fine for a few times until I reset the BIOS jumper. then it began to do the same thing.

Power goes to the machine but hte power led stays off and other Leds stay off.  I have checked the power supply with a power supply tester but still nothing.

I am thinking that the MB may be going. Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: Erratic Startup on Acer

P/S are strange animals...usually if the PC turns on, you're fine.  But P/S that are having internal issues may actually work, but if one of the rails is iffy or the P/S has been compromised by a surge of some kind, I've seen them exhibit all sorts of weird symptoms.

It might be the MB, simply because of your BIOS reset causing the problem to reappear, but the P/S is easy to replace for a test. I first zeroed in on the P/S because if someone reported the issue to you and the PC was unplugged for a time before hitting your bench, you would in fact have done the first step that I suggested in removing power for a time.  Even if the P/S is some proprietary shape that only fits in this Acer box, you could still most likely sit one outside the box and hook everything up and see if that fixes the problem.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us