Question : Problem: Normal Screen resolutions gone after installing Windows Update

Allowed a Windows update to install at shutdown. The next day I received the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message (error code 100008e) Everything seemed OK except for the resolution which was set from 1400 by 1050 down to 1024 by 768. When attempting to change resolution, I found that the only options were 800 by 600, 1024 by 768, and a strange 1400 by 2586.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall both my nVidia 8800 GTX cards with the latest drivers from nVidia's website, to no avail. I tried uninstalling said drivers and installing older ones and had the same result.

I tried disabling and re-enabling SLI as well as removing one video card.

I then tried to install new monitor drivers, which had the correct max resolution of 1400 by 1050 in its .inf file, but still had only the previously mentioned three choices (including the strange 1400 by 2586.)

Unfortunately I had System Restore off so I cannot roll back. I tried installing a repair copy of Windows XP Pro which also failed. Tried creating a new user, but no results.

Lastly, nVidia's display control has a custom resolution tool which allows you to specify your own resolutions. When I attempted to make a 1400 by 1050 resolution, it displays it as 1050 by 1400.

I'm really stuck here and I'm not sure if this is a monitor, video card, hardware or software issue. Any help or suggestions would be welcome though I'm avoiding formatting. Thanks in advanced!

Answer : Problem: Normal Screen resolutions gone after installing Windows Update

Add and remove programs; uninstall all N-vidia driver apps from here.  Also uninstalllatest updates if possible.  Reset the monitor display settings to factory default.  

Reboot
Check display settings.
Download the utilities from the site and isntall and config again.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us