Question : Problem: ActiveSync 4.5: Works with Bluetooth but not via USB cable

I had some problems with a USB attached printer, so I was messing around with USB ports (eg going into Device Manager and deleting USB hubs) among other things. I got the printer to work again but...now ActiveSync 4.5 (on Windows XP SP2) no longer connects with my AT&T 8525 (HTC Hermes) smartphone.

What's strange is that I can still sync when using "Connect via Bluetooth" (invoked on the Windows Mobile 5 version of ActiveSync on the Smartphone)! But when I plug in the USB cable to the phone, I hear the two tone USB connect sound, but not the ActiveSync connected "trill".

One other clue. If I open the "Connection Settings" dialog box (from the ActiveSync menu File menu choice) and click on the Connect Button... and the the Next button, it starts making the alien space ship sound. Then I plug in the cable, the alien space ship sound immediately stops and I get both the two tone USB connect sound AND the ActiveSync connected trill, but nothing actually happens.

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync 4.5 on the laptop to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Answer : Problem: ActiveSync 4.5: Works with Bluetooth but not via USB cable

I've given up on this issue. None of the suggestions helped.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us