Question : Problem: Logitech QuickCam loops forever when searching for updates, creates 1000s of lulnchr processes

I was running Logitech QuickCam 11.9 with my Pro 9000 webcam and it was working fine. In trouble shooting another problem I had to uninstall it. After correcting the problem, I then reinstalled QuickCam but all that is available is 11.8.1065.0000. What it is supposed to do is check for updates and update itself to 11.9. The problem now is that when QuickCam searches for updates (for example, to get 11.9), the system goes into a loop creating 1000s of processes, each running lulnchr.exe. The only way to stop the loop is to force a shutdown with the power button. I have tried uninstalling QuickCam. doing a clean boot and reinstalling 11.8 several times, but it fails this way every time. I have turned off my NIS 2009 AV/firewall, but that makes no difference. What is wierd is that other than not being able to update, QuickCam is running OK with Skype and Windows Live Messenger. It periodically checks for updates and then I have to force a shutdown. I have a suspicion that the problem comes from having downgraded the version, some small piece of 11.9 was not removed and is interactng with 11.8. That is just a guess. Any ideas?

Some other configuration information is:

-Vista Ultimate 32, SP1
-Asus P5E Deluxe
-3 GHz Core 2 Duo E8400
-4 GBytes RAM
-ATI Radeon 2600 HD
-Creative Xi-Fi Platinum
-Sata and IDE disk drives (many GBs of free disk space)
-NIS 2009

Thanks,
Stan

Answer : Problem: Logitech QuickCam loops forever when searching for updates, creates 1000s of lulnchr processes

After several postings in a Logitech support group, they posted an update to the updater portion of QuickCam. That is posted here: http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=quickcam_software&message.id=56426&jump=true

As soon as that was installed, the update process worked without creating the 1000s of processes.

Thank you for the help,
Stan
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us