Question : Problem: Connecting anti static mat and strap

I am new to computer hardware upgrading, but have a sound knowledge of copmuters in theory.  I am about to upgrade mem and graphics card.  I have therefore bought a new anti-static mat and strap.  The thing is what do a attach them to.  I know it should they should be attached to the chassis of PC, but surley if the chassis is on the mat, and mat and strap are attached to chassis, any static discharged would just go back on to me.

Please can you help.  I don't want to open PC until I am sure where the anti-static mat and strap are attached to.

Many thanks.

Answer : Problem: Connecting anti static mat and strap

The point is to equalize the charge between you and the devices you may contact. Connecting the mat to the strap with the case on the mat is generally sufficient. If the case is seperate from the mat, then connect a jumper between the case and mat. Any assemblies you remove should be placed on the mat as well. Unpacking new devices should be done on the mat also. You can develop charge from proximity to a monitor screen even if it is off and unplugged or simply moving around on a chair can also charge you up therefor touching the chassis alone may give a false sense of security. A charged person could touch you and there would be no path for discharge other than through the pins of the assembly you are installing. Connecting the mat to earth ground adds some indirect protection by discharging  everything on it relative to ground. This could also be the connection between the computer case and the mat if the the computer power cord is connected and grounded through the plug. The minimum charge that is needed to destroy a device is far less that the static charges you feel when crossing a carpet. I personally do not bother unless the relative humidity is low.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us