Question : Problem: Reset ThinkPad 760E BIOS Passwords

I've got an old ThinkPad 760E that I want to get rid of (maybe somebody will get some use out of something that old..), but it's got a Power-On password and a Hard Drive password set.  I know the passwords, but I can't figure out how to reset them.  There's nothing in the BIOS that I can find..  Yeah, there's a password section, but the buttons for those passwords show a lock symbol, and they're grayed out.  I know I can reset the Power-On password by using a jumper, but that doesn't help me much with the hard drive password.  Anything I can do?

Answer : Problem: Reset ThinkPad 760E BIOS Passwords

What about pulling the cmos battery on the laptop (warning, if this model is one that does use an EEPROM chip like most newer ibms, if you pull the cmos battery, it will then error when booting up and require the proper password to be entered).

If this model doesn't make use of the EEPROM chip, then pulling the CMOS battery (i left mine out overnight) will remove the supervisor/user passwords (it does NOT alter the hard drive password).  I also jumpered the solder pads too.  Make sure you do all this with the laptop battery and the unit NOT plugged in.

Once all taht is done, hopefully the passwords will reset themselves to nothing and you should get into the bios properly.

Also you can google for a program called "killcmos" but I don't know if it would help with a thinkpad.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us