Question : Problem: Serial Com Ports Vs. USB Multi Serial Com Ports : Do they behave the same ??????

Recently I purchased a USB multi serial com port at :    http://www.titanelectronics.com/show/usb8com.htm
 :  from a USB port I added 8 serial com ports.

The point is that I run an aplicati0n, for Automatic Vehicle Location, aided by GPS device that has to be called in, by a

dialup procedure with a serial modem (normally a PCI modem).  In my dell server (a Dell PowerEdge 2600 dual Xeon, 1 GB DDR,

Windows 2003, with Citrix Metaframe XP FR3 server)  I have no PCI slots, just PCIX. So I needed to communicate with the GPS

devices via external modem .

When the external modem is attached to the built in serial com port in the back of the server the software works just fine,

but when I use the USB multi serial port hub the software doesn't work properly.

Reads the device's coordinates, but does not answer specific requests. So I'm asking my self, what can possibly alter the

communication procedure or protocol that makes the USB multi serial port obsolete on reading the communication that a normal

com port does ?     There's something about USB that makes the communication behave diferent way on a USB multi serial port

than a regular serial com port. ?  

I need that the USB multi serial com port behave exactly as a regular com port on the computer.  

Coments ??????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks,

SenTnel

Answer : Problem: Serial Com Ports Vs. USB Multi Serial Com Ports : Do they behave the same ??????

Possibly the software needs to communicate in a specialized manner with the modem directly, to send/receive particular instructions and the drivers needed for USN to serial conversion can't handle this 100% correctly. I think you should talk to the software makers or the makers of the USB thingy and see if either of them can help you with better drivers or  any other suggestions.
/RID
Random Solutions  
  •  Problem: How do I best organise: I want itunes library on external hard-drive but also want a subset of my music on my macbookpro but want to avoid duplication?
  •  Problem: Cisco ASA 5505
  •  Problem: Can a project developed in Java J2me run successfully on most mobile devices?
  •  Problem: 8800GT Dual video cards not working on Tyan S5396 w/ Vista Ultimate 64 bit
  •  Problem: Publishing access .adp through citrix
  •  Problem: My GPU is making a loud noise, is it the PSU or the GPU causing it to make that noise?
  •  Problem: SCCM 2007 packages no pushing to clients
  •  Problem: HP Proliant DL380 G4, Smart Array 6i -- running Windows 2k3 Server as a Fileserver.   How do we configure so that we can expand array and data partition as needed?
  •  Problem: Partition Table Scramble
  •  Problem: New ASUS P5E mob, POSTS but does not see IDE devices?
  •  
    programming4us programming4us