Question : Problem: Mouse not working during Windows install or in Windows after install

I've just reformatted and installed installed Windows XP Pro SP2. My mouse wasn't working at any stage of the Windows installation, but I was able to complete it using just my keyboard and assumed that the mouse would work upon first log-in.

My mouse is not working. I have a pointer in the middle of the screen, but I can't move it. If I unplug it and plug it into a different USB port, I get varying results with no discernable pattern.

For example, I sometimes get the Found New Hardware Wizard. The Windows XP disc is in-drive and I set the wizard to search for the location automatically. It searches for the location, then starts to copy the files, but then stops and says that the installation failed, citing "the data is invalid".

At other times, I get a balloon in the bottom right saying:
"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message"
Needless to say, I cannot click on the message!

And, of course, sometimes plugging it into a different port does nothing ;-)

Notably, unplugging my USB keyboard and plugging the mouse into that port does not enable the mouse to work. So, the USB ports work with my keyboard but not with my mouse.

I also have a seemingly unrelated problem, but the timing strikes me as too coincidental. Since I've just reformatted and installed installed Windows, I'm installing drivers using my PC manufacturer's CD, entitled "nVIDIA nForce4 Series Utilties CD Ver.1.2 B5.0704.1". I can install all the drivers using my keyboard as the CD's autoplay menu has an "Xpress Install" feature - basically I just hit enter on my keyboard and the drivers are installed silently. The 5 drivers that this CD can install are as follows:

nVIDIA System Driver
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet CPU Driver
Realtek AC97 Codec Driver
nVIDIA USB 2.0 Driver
nVIDIA IDE Driver

4 of these drivers have installed successfully, but the System Driver does not. Each time I go through the Xpress Install, I am told that the System Driver has installed and I am to reboot. I do so, but upon next log-in I insert the CD to check that the driver has installed and, whilst the other 4 show as installed, the System Driver shows as not installed. I can't help but feel that fixing one problem will fix the other.

I often reformat and reinstall Windows (the last time was 2 months) ago and I have had this mouse for 4 and a half years - nothing like this has ever happened before.

Answer : Problem: Mouse not working during Windows install or in Windows after install

As I suspected, the 2 problems were related. I simply reformatted and reinstalled Windows. During the installation process, the mouse was available, and ever after. I was also able to install the drivers from the CD without any problems.

I have no idea what went wrong, I'm just glad it's over. Thanks for all your help.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us