Question : Problem: Need help installing my HP printer

I've never had ANY problems ever installing any printer - I do not understand why this has become such a problem... Here is the history:
I am using a new HP Photo Smart Printer, model 1215.
I was using it originally with WinME - NO PROBLEM.
I since then have changed my system so that it is a dual booting system with WinME and Win2000. I'm trying to install the printer into both OS's. The computer seems to not be able to do this. I'm not sure of all the details but a summary is that I have not been able to make it work with either the parallel port OR USB port hookup in both OS's. And while doing this, I've also noticed that the computer will not recognize the printer if I just go into "add printer" and ask it to install. I can however FORCE the software to install and the printer will at least work in one of th OS's - not both however! I THINK THE IMPORTANT THING HERE IS THAT IT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE THE PRINTER - AS IT SHOULD!!! I have tried two different cables - one being brand new.
So here is the thing - I'd like to have it work with both OS's - but it is not necessary... However, it must work perfectly at least with Win2000 - which it is not doing now since Win2000 will not recognize the printer when I go to install it.
Does anybody have any info about my situation and this printer??? I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Need help installing my HP printer

Hi,

First of all, install the software first, via the setup program, then connect the machine, I've seen most recent machines needing this procedure, also shown on the quick ref. installation guide
Secondly, take a look at this article:
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=hpphotosma22071&LC=pc_photography&Tfile=bpy20595
There seems to be a problem with the auto-install proggy from HP in conjuction with win2k

Good luck,

Pete
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us