Question : Problem: AOL Disconnects using WMP54G and Linksys Wireless G Router or A/G Router

I'm having the following issue....

ISP CBeyond T1....
Windows SB 2003 Server acting as Router....
Linksys Wireless G Router...
Linksys WMP54G PCI Wireless G Adapter...
Windows XP SP2 on All Workstations (Brand New Dell Precision Workstations)
All users are working fine except one....

When he connects to AOL (Which he insists on doing) about every 20 minutes and sometimes very random times it will dosconnect and he'll have to reconnect to AOL.

I watched it happen when it disconnected the Wireless signal went from 100% and started to quickly degrade down to almost 0 then instantly go back to 100%. This happened about every 20 minutes when I watched it. The user claims it happens nearly every 7 Minutes at times...

I've optimized the placement of the wireless router to get a 100% connection to all machines. I've changed the channel for the Wireless G from 6,11,1,2 so far but no effect. I replaced the wireless router with a new one with no effect. I switched PCI NICs to no avail. I used the DNS entrys from the ISP and DHCP'd them to all the clients to no avail. It seems like a signal degradation problem but it's in an office that does not use any other 2.4 GHz devices. It cant be wired very easily with real CAT-5 (14' Celings and no drop down tiles) I've verified the Driver is the latest from Linksys. I've used the Linksys Wireless Utility and the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Utility makes no difference.

No one else has complained about the problem. But none of them use AOL except the one user. AOL has some sort of Heart beat connection and when the Wireless disconnects AOL disconnects even if it's sitting idle. The user is furious regarding the problem and wants it FIXED!!!! I'm to blame because I installed it... He wont accept the answer that it's an AOL problem. I've used the AOL fix it program to rebuild the AOL adapter and fix all of the Connection settings. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!

Clint

Answer : Problem: AOL Disconnects using WMP54G and Linksys Wireless G Router or A/G Router

PAQed with points refunded (500)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us