Question : Problem: vx motherboard  ok with amd chip?

I have a p133 on a vx motherboard and I've read the new amd 300mmx chip is a seroius rival to the pentium. It even does floating point apparently whcih is important to me as I'm a gamesacholic! Apparently it is a socket7 chip though it needs a dual voltage motherboard. I can't make head or tail of my manual so how do I find out if its dual voltage.
Also, is it worth upgrading the bios and if so how and why do I do it.
Thanks Geoff

Answer : Problem: vx motherboard  ok with amd chip?

dogberry,
Does the manual indicate jumper settings for a dual voltage CPU?
Probably not.
Your motherboard also needs a 66Mhz clock frequency (it likely has) with 4.5 multiplier (unlikely).

AMD says this:

"Does the motherboard support the correct CPU voltage?

Each AMD processor is tested and guaranteed to work in a specified voltage range. If the motherboard does not maintain this voltage to the CPU during operation, the system will likely become unstable and could damage the processor. An insufficient power supply design or use of low quality capacitors are common trade-offs made by some vendors in order to reduce costs. While these brands may work initially, chances are that as the components on the motherboard degrade over time, these systems will become unreliable and eventually stop functioning"

More information available here:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/tips.html

Let me know if you need more.
Regards,
Ralph

Random Solutions  
  •  Problem: tcpad.exe "Service" is blocking Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems from starting
  •  Problem: how do i get my itunes software to recognize disc recording for burning cd/dvd?
  •  Problem: Ghost 100 of computers into a domain
  •  Problem: GRE over IPSEC Configuration for two remote offices
  •  Problem: Backup- \\jccdbserver2\[ROOT] Failed to read extended attributes and ACLs for /. Please review file system mount options to enable support for extended attributes and ACLs.
  •  Problem: Unable to connect MacBook to Vista Laptop...despair fast approaching
  •  Problem: Matching Memory with CPU
  •  Problem: in depth difrence of 74hc, hct   act  ls   .......
  •  Problem: Cannot access CD-ROM (CDRW) and Floppy Drives in Windows 2000 after un/installing Nero Burner Software
  •  Problem: In HP G85: How do I scan a text multipage docs into a readable, relatively small file?
  •  
    programming4us programming4us