Question : Problem: What backup Solution do you think is the best (NOT SOHO) for SMB/Enterprise?

Looking on investing in a new backup solution for our company, i'm currently looking at NET BACKUP ENTERPRISE SERVER and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server.The solution should also be able to do remote backup for our clients/branch offices.We do not wish to use a tape any more, but will a use hard disk solution instead. (price is so low on hard drive storage, that as of today it's a good economic stable solution)   I think it would be nice to know from you experts what you and your company prefers/thinks is the best and what your cons/pros is.  I would be happy if you also could help me with the 2 solutions i mentioned with pros/cons. I will looking forward to hear form you guys what you think is the killer app for backup.
500 pts to the best expert suggestion!
Thanks,
What is the solution

Note: I'll be leaving this question open for a while to let as many experts/ppl to give their view on the topic.

Answer : Problem: What backup Solution do you think is the best (NOT SOHO) for SMB/Enterprise?

I tend to agree, modern disc's are out preforming tapes. I have quite a few clients, and all have had an issue with both systems, what I've noted however is that tape seems to require "cleaning" and more maintenance, while HD's require mostly replacement. Tape doesn't seem to last long without hiccups, from SUN to DELL to IBM, they all seem to drop a tape drive, "shoe shine", twist a tape, or fail for some unknown error. Again, that's what I've seen and dealt with, HD backups are still newer, however I think it's the more stable technology currently. I've also seen that various software, Veritas, netBackUp, BackupExec, SafeKeeper etc... have their share of issues (tape or HD) either with the media itself, or some bug, and even "unknown limitations".

I've not tested/reviewed the new version of this software since being purchased by ironmountain a few years ago, but prior it was the best thing I found: http://www.ironmountain.com/digital/pc/ http://www.backupsoftreview.com/reviews/product04/
One of the coolest things it did, and I'm not sure if others caught on, is it compressed the data on the client, then sent it over the network (nothing new there i'm sure) but on the sever it stored it all in 20 meg compressed/encrypted chunks... if a file was over 20 megs compressed it spanned more than one chunk. Data was copied only once, so if I had Sales-2006.xls on my pc and I backed my file up first, when joe went to back his pc up, Sales-2006.xls (as long as the file was the same) it only got a pointer to joe's machine. Even if joe changed the file afterward, the delta would be the only data stored on the server. So if you only wanted to restore Sales-2006.XLS after a massive HD failure in your laptop, you'd only have to uncompress/decrypt a 20 meg chunk as opposed to the entire archive, let's say 500 megs, saves a lot of time!

Other trade-off's include power and heat, HD solutions use much more power and thus produce much more heat, this can be a concern in a hosting situation as you may be charged for the power you consume, or the power you over consume.
I actually don't like any of the windows based backup software I've come into contact with, not since connected TLM (as it was called back in 2003...) I use Amanda (a *nix application) and a combination of hard-drive format's, Riser-FS and EXT-3 on various arrays.
-rich
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us