Question : Problem: How do I add another SATA hard drive

This Win 2008 server has 2 disks installed and configured as a mirrored pair via the LSI  SATA Raid controller. I have added another SATA drive as I want a stand alone 'scratch' disc. However I cannot find a way to make the new drive visible to windows. I have looked into configuring via the Raid controller but have chickened out as I am scared of destroying the existing array, I'm not even sure if this is the right place to try to configure the new disc.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Answer : Problem: How do I add another SATA hard drive

The Reason the Drive cannot be rebuilt is because, as you said, there is a Mirror on Ports 0&2, if both of those drives appear as "Online" Then The Array is Optimal and there is nothing to rebuild, hence there is no option on Drive 4.

I apologize for using the term rebuild earlier.  In order to establish a new array using drive 4.  Go to it and press spacebar, you will see axx-xx appear next to it.  Strike Enter. Then press F10

In the next screen Press Space bar to select the Span then hit F10

Review the options in the Logical Drives Configured Screen and when ready hit Accept (the defaults are generally ok).  Then hit ESC and select Yes and hit enter on Save configuration.

Once done, Ctrl-Alt-Del and reboot

Once set, in windows, go to start->run and type diskmgmt.msc.  This will open Disk Management.  You should see a Striped Area of unallocated space that represents the array you just created.  You need to right click on this and format, file system is ntfs.  Once this is done you should have a newly Lettered Drive in Windows.  

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us