Question : Problem: Removable Disc Issue

Hi, I have got a HP Slimline Pavilion PC and for some reason when I go into Windows Explorer its showing up that there are 6 x Removable Disks.  Can anybody explain to me why?  Can I delete them? I am trying to use a USB memory stick but can't as computer is telling me that there are no more letters left to use. I have as follows:
C- Main Drive
D- Recovery Drive
E- CD / DVD Rom Drive
F- Removable Disc
G- Removable Disc
H- Removable Disc
I- Removable Disc
J- Removable Disc
K- Removable Disc
L- 2nd CD / DVD Rome Drive
M- External HDD

Can anybody explain to me why there are so many Removable discs.  I have never had a HP PC before.

- ziggles

Answer : Problem: Removable Disc Issue

You didn't give the exact model #, but I suspect your PC has a multi-card reader that can accept numerous types of removeable cards (i.e. Compact Flash, SD, XD, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, etc.).   Each of the drive letters you're seeing is simply mapped to one of the reader slots on that reader -- that's why they all have "no media".

Your USB flash stick should still be assigned a letter ==> is this the "M" drive you show above -- or is that another external drive??

If M: is not your flash drive device, do this:

(1)  With the USB flash drive NOT inserted, go to Disk Management [right-click on My Computer; select Manage; then click on Disk Management]  and look at the list of disk drives.   Keep the display so you can see the last disk drive [i.e. Disk 8 in your example].
(2)  Insert your USB flash drive -- wait a few seconds; then click Action - Refresh in the Computer Management window.   You should now see the flash drive.
(3)  Right-click on the flash drive in the display, and you can then assign a drive letter.   Whatever letter you assign will then be used for that device whenever you insert it in the future.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us