Question : Problem: Timing/Counting Circuit

Hello all,

This may not be the correct forum for this question, but hopefully, if I can't get a specific answer, maybe I can get some pointers on where/how to look for this info.

Here's what I've currently got:  1 manual switch box with 70 switched circuits.  I use this to fire cues in personal fireworks displays.  While this definately works, I'd like to build a timing circuit that allows me to preset times for specific cues to fire.

I have the following timeline: Cue1-0:00, Cue2-0:53, Cue3-1:06, Cue4-1:23, etc.  The best I can figure with my limited knowledge is to use something like a CMOS4206 (or 2 or 3) and have those clocked from a 555 timer.  Then, I could use a sequence of AND gates to logically figure out when my Cue-times happen and trigger a relay to pass the charge along.  Unfortunately, this is very cludgy and would be hideous to redo the logic each time the Cue-times change, especially with a set of 70 cues.

So, what I'm looking for is either what chip(s) might be able to perform this function for me (maybe a programmable chip with a certain number of output triggers)?  Or a site with a simple project that encompasses this that I could use as a template.  They do sell professional items that will do this, but as I'm only a hobbyist, I can't justify shelling out a few grand for one of these boxes.

Thanks for any input!
chris.

Answer : Problem: Timing/Counting Circuit

Hi cciesliga...

Here is the link for the AVR studio.. You can begin playing with it    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=2725

After reading your requirements you enforce my feelings regading not using a CPLD. Please, don't use WINCUPL. Don't use a CPLD as D-Glitch mentioned. Since this is a fireworks display. You need security measures to make sure when you power your device up it won't be at a random state or the clock won't be running before you are ready...

The only safe way to do that is to use a micro controller that at boot time it will clear all the bits. This micro controller could be also attached with a keypad. Then you program a requirement on your software that it will only run the sequence if you punch a passcode on your keypad. This way if you even accidently press the push buttons or the re-set button, your fire works won't fire untill you've pressed the correct code.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us