Question : Problem: (Overheat) Overclocking Intel P4 D865GBF

Hi,

My system (under windows Vista, but it did under XP too) overheats A LOT (talking of temperatures over 80 Celcius in the processor zone), and I would like to take this heat a little down... It is a problem I have since the purchase (september 2005) and it doesn't get any better! I didn't overclock my cpu, but I would like to take it down a little bit, I think it could help (like taking it from 3.00Ghz to 2.6), but I heard it is impossible with this kind of processor, that I can only change the FSB. Is that true? If not, vould anyone explain to me how to proceed.

Any other ideas to make it cooler are welcome!! ( i tried adding fans... doesn't change a damn thing)

Thank you!
Flopizzz

Answer : Problem: (Overheat) Overclocking Intel P4 D865GBF

Is this something you bought new, built yourself, or maybe had someone build for you?

I think the first step I would take would be to remove the heatsink and check the heatsink compound (thermal grease.)  You would be surprised (I know I was!) at how many people build systems, and put NOTHING between the processor and heatsink.

It's also possible, if it's not a retail system,  that the heatsink and fan combination are not adequate, or not rated for your particular processor.  In this case, you may need to buy a better cooling setup.

One last thought...  I assume that you have cleaned the heatsink and fans of any dust buildup...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us