Question : Problem: Dell Laptop Inspiron 1150 having power issues

I have this laptop which a relative gave me to fix.

Initial condition:
1. After pressing the power button, the fan goes on, the left most LED on the front goes green (power), display is dark, and after 3-5 secs it shuts down.
2. Same behaviour whether powered from battery or AC

What I did:
1. Used another AC adaptor (same thing)
2. Replaced the RAM (same thing)
3. Reconnected the Hard Disk (something happened)

When I reconnected the Hard Disk now the computer didn't go off, but the screen was still off. Since I had taken the computer apart, I assembled everything and tried again.

This time I messed with the AC connector right in the back of the laptop. I found out that by moving the jack around the green light in the front of the laptop (that has a little battery symbol) would turn on. Once it was on, I was able to boot the computer successfully all the way.

Once the computer booted, I disconnected the AC and the battery powered the laptop. If I connected the AC adaptor and moved it around, there was a noise (probably from the speakers) like some electric noise, and then the screen went black, but the fan was still on.

After that it's the same thing. If the green light for the battery is on, the computer boots. If not, it shuts down after 3-5 seconds.

I disassembled the show computer, and removed the mother board. I'm looking at the power jack but I don't see anything wrong.

I still think it's something with the power jack, BUT why wouldn't it start from the battery if it's really the jack???

Any ideas??

Answer : Problem: Dell Laptop Inspiron 1150 having power issues

If there is a short in the power plug it may cause the laptop not to start under any circumstances. You may have moved it to a position where the short has been undone, but I would not jiggle that pin around again with the power on as you may do more damage to the motherboard. Even if you can't see a problem it may be inside the jack where the pin is.
Replace the jack on the motherboard.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us