Question : Problem: My PCI E link width is stuck at x1, how do I set it back to x16?

I installed an Nvidia 8800GT a while back, and it worked great for a month or so.  I left for about two weeks, and when I came back my frame rates in my games were very low.  I have spent hours upon hours researching my problem, and have found that my PCI E link width somehow has been set to x1.  Since my computer is a Dell there is no way I can find to change it back, either in the bios, or on the motherboard, or with a 3rd party PLL chip modifier.  I know it used to be set to x16 because my games used to scream.  Does anyone know how I can set the PCI E link width back to x16?  Or at least a way to get into some advanced bios settings?  
I've read where other people with this same link width problem have overclocked their FSB and that "forced" the link width to x16.  I cannot OC my FSB, according to this website  http://www.podien.de/FSB.HTM.  My PLL is a CY28410.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer : Problem: My PCI E link width is stuck at x1, how do I set it back to x16?

I have finally fixed this problem.  It turns out my processor was bad.  Yep, that's right, my Intel Pentium D930 was broken.  

The weird thing is it would test fine.  Every test procedure I could find to analyse the processor returned normal results.  It was just very slow.  

Well, after having replaced every dsingle part in my computer, the processor was the only thing left o replace, and then if that didn't work start replacing the things I had replaced in hopes of finding something that had come bad from the store.  So I ordered a Pentium E8500 Core 3 duo, rated very fast for gaming which is what I primarily do.  BINGO!  Everything is running extremely fast.  I scored 7980 with PCMark05, compared to 2860 with the old processor.  Other systems with the pentium D930 would normally score around 5,000, so my machine was basically half as fast as ut should have been.  

The only complaint I might offer is that there is no information I can find on the internet that says if a processor goes bad it may only slow down.  Everything I have read suggests when a processor goes bad it will not work at all.  Well I have an Intel Pentium D 930 that is somehow sick and only goes half as fast as it should!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us