Question : Problem: Dual video cards (PCI-e/PCI) not working

Hello,

I have a Gateway GT5678 computer with Windows Vista x64. I'm attempting to set up a three monitor display with two video cards. The PCI-e video card is a GeForce 7300 while the PCI card is a GeForce 8400.

I have displays 1/2 plugged in to the 7300 (#1 is DVI, #2 VGA) and I'm attempting to drive the third monitor by the DVI output on the PCI card.

Both cards work independently of each other, but the minute I install them both, only one is detected (typically the PCI-e card). If the PCI-e card is enabled, monitors 1 and 2 operate correctly. If the PCI card is enabled, only monitor 3 operates correctly.

Am I missing something or is there no way to have both PCI-e and PCI working at the same time?

Also, onboard video seems to be disabled anytime either card is plugged in so apparently I can't use that.

Assuming running the two cards at once is not possible, are there ANY options for enabling the third monitor? I want them setup independent of each other so I have three separate work areas, not one large screen.

Thank you for any assistance.

Answer : Problem: Dual video cards (PCI-e/PCI) not working

Apparently your BIOS won't allow a PCI video card in addition to the PCIe device --> probably due to the switching between the PCIe slot and the onboard device.

There are two options that should work:

(1)  A Matrox Triple-Head-To-Go  [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106014 ].   This will connect to one of the outputs on your current card and will support dual displays at 1680 x 1050.   Note that you need the "Triple-Head-To-Go" ... NOT the "Dual-Head-To-Go" -- even though you're only going to drive two monitors with it.   That's so you can get dual widescreen support at 1680 x 1050.

(2)  A USB video adapter.   Note that many of these will only support 1024 x 768 resolution; but this one supports the 1680 x 1050 widescreen you want to use:
http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-DVI-External-Video-Card-High-Resolution.asp    You simply use your current PCIe card for two displays, and add one of these for the 3rd.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us