Question : Problem: installing two video cards

I have a XP pro system with a PCI-Express Nvidia 8500GT 512mb video card.  The video card has two ports on the back standard vga out and dvi, I have been using two monitors with this card with windows dual display without any problem.

I wanted to go to 3 monitors so I bought a 2nd video card, as my mother board has only 1 PCI-Express slot I got a PCI video card; GeForce FX5500 256mb.

I installed the new card windows found it on start up, installed the drivers and then blue screens on each boot.  The blue screen and dump flashes quickly then reboots to quickly to read the dump, but happens after the windows logo screen has been shown.

Once I removed the new card the blue screen continues, however removing the original PCI-Express card and windows boots without problem, so now it seems that the orginal card is the problem, but as I said this has worked fine for some time.

Any suggestions on what could cause this, or what I can do would be great.

Thanks
Ian

Answer : Problem: installing two video cards

"... I installed the new card windows found it on start up, installed the drivers and then blue screens on each boot. " ==> There should not be any additional drivers required for this card.   The same ForceWare drivers will work with both your 8500GT card and the FX5500 card.

You should be able to boot to Safe Mode with both cards installed.   If so, boot to Safe Mode;  uninstall both cards; and then install the latest Forceware driver from nVidia [http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_162.18.html ].    You should then be able to boot normally.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us