Question : Problem: Best way to setup a large wireless network.

There is a little background to the post, and the question is at the end.

I am setting up a new network in a clients house. The house is 14,000 sqft. It has rather thick walls and is three stories. I have purchased a Linksys RV082 to be the main router in the house. I have purchased multiple Linksys WAP54G access points as well as two Linksys WRE54G range extenders.

We want complete network saturation of his whole house and the backyard pool area. He does have wired ethernet ports around the house which I plan on plugged in the access points to.

After researching some I have found that the best way would be to place at least one access point on each floor plugged into an ethernet port. Running the first floor on channel 1, floor 2 channel 6, floor 3 channel 11. I plan on using one of the extenders for outside of the house.

My question is if I place enough of these access points on the same SSID with the same security keys will the client be able to traverse his house without getting disconnected at all or will it disconnect him when moving to an area with a stronger signal? I really really want/need an option that will not disconnect him at all. I want one SSID if possible for the simplicity.

Answer : Problem: Best way to setup a large wireless network.

What is the actual layout of the house?  e.g. 65' x 72' x 3 floors works out to about 14000, but I kinda doubt that house is a large cube. :-)

Also, where do the existing ethernet outlets terminate?  In the basement? a 2nd floor closet? on a patch panel? on a switch? Is there power there so you could use PoE APs?

There's really no way to tell how the APs you obtained already are going to work until you deploy a few and walk around with a laptop checking the signal and roaming. Personally, I think D-Link makes a more aesthetically pleasing case (e.g. see the DWL-3200AP, DIR-628 and DIR-825, et al); the reason the black and blue plastic Linksys cases 'look' cheap is because they ARE cheap (fairly sturdy, though). On the other hand, Linksys spanks about everyone when it comes to support on their consumer-grade units. Fortunately, the D-Links are bulletproof enough they don't need support very often.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us