Question : Problem: Using W2K's and NT's backup program

Dear Storage experts,

I have a general question that may become more specific depending on the responses.

I am currently using Veritas as the backup utility on my network.  I am having nothing but problems with this product.  I have recently taken over the position as IT manager and found out we are not compliant license wise and have no support.  I have my renewal proposal in front of me and it is a large number.  What I am doing is thinking of different approach to my redundancy/backup of my servers.  I have been speaking with a company called DataAssure that will backup my critical data over the internet as well as allow me to keep one copy onsite.  I have been playing with this and it works real well.  

So here is my thought and question to all who would like to give me some advice, suggestions and recomendations.  I was thinking of using another product such as the native backup program in W2K and NT to backup my users data and system information to tape while utililizing Data Assure to upload my critical data such as my priv file from exchange, my accounting data and my Companies Database information.  

What do you think about that idea?
Has anyone had to restore a system using tape data from W2K's backup program?

I hope this is considered a storage question.  If you do not think so kronostm, let me know?

Thank you for your time!!

Reggie

Answer : Problem: Using W2K's and NT's backup program

Well the built in windows 2000/2003/XP software IS veritas - just a cut down version. The only draw back to your plan is - open files normal backups just skip open files, even with veritas you have to purchase the open file option seperately and its not cheap.

Remember your only as good as your last backup :0) offsite backup is OK but are you sending any confidential information down that line?? customers contacts, patients etc that you have a LEGAL duty to protect??

If you are just backing up some word documents and a few spreadsheet's then no problem run with NTBackup, if you have mailsystems, databases and applications to back up, think to yourself - mmmm why IS veritas so expensive - because it does exactly what it says on the tin, in software - like anything else you get what you pay for.

Veritas is a CHEAP product for what it does compare the price to something like Brightstor (arcserve) and then you will see its quite cheap.

Or put yourself in a position where the boss of your comapny has lost all his/her email and you cant restore it?

Pete
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us