Question : Problem: knoppix hard drive rescue

Hi all,
I have a failed hard drive and I am attempting to recover the data from it.  I am planning on using knoppix with ddrescue.  When I hook up the bad hard drive, I get a SMART failure from the bios.  So, I disabled the SMART status in the bios, and booted to knoppix.  How ever, knoppix doesnt' see taht the device exists.  I tried mounting the drive, but knoppix doesnt' see the drive.  Can I do a find or something... maybe tweak the fstab file?
Any thoughts?

Answer : Problem: knoppix hard drive rescue

FAT32 file system usually doesn't cause problems--but NTFS does.  If the file system is corrupt, you wont be able to recover it via knoppix.  I recommend using Restorer2000 Pro.

In Windows, chances are this drive wont even show up in computer management.  And I know if this is the case ERD commander and Windows Live CD's are rendered useless IMO.  Try the program listed above (a trial is available here)  http://www.restorer2000.com/

You will need to do a search on that drive for all files and partitions and it'll take a few hours depending on the capacity of the HDD.  Then you simply check what you want to recover and a destination path for those files.  

Let me know if you have any questions or if this just isn't an option.

-Steve
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us