Question : Problem: Using Cisco 3560\3750 SFP port for Tape Library

I am going to be setting up a tape library. I am told with the library that I'm getting that there are two ways to set it up,

[svrs to be backed up]----->thru the lan---->[backup svr]--->SCSI--->[tape library]

or

[fiber nic]------>[fiber bridge]------>[tape library]

My question is, can I use a cisco switch (3560\3750) and plug the tape library in one of the spf ports on it?

I want to buy the switch to act as the 'fiber bridge' and since it's a gb switch and all the servers have gb nics, i just want them to have a gb connection to the tape library which itself is connected by fiber.

Also, in buying the switch, it says the SFP ports are empty, do I need to purchase a specific gbic or fiber module to plug into the spf port? And i'm assuming this module will depend what type of fiber connection is coming off the tape library, would that be correct? like SC to LC or someting another

Answer : Problem: Using Cisco 3560\3750 SFP port for Tape Library

yeah .. thats what I exactly meant about that. You probably have a generic driver installed on the client computer printing over the network. Try going to the print properties on that PC, and clicking Update Drivers.

It will ask you for the drivers location. In this case, which I should have mentioned first, you would have a proper and just dowloaded printer driver for the OS version you have.

you would point out the location, and let the drivers update ... It should work.

As for the permissions .. I know that windows 2000 brings special connectivuty protocols to use between Novell and Windows Networking.

Right Click my network places and select properties. Select propeties once again on the Lan adapter. In the properties dialog box, select Install, and then choose to install a service. you'll see that you have an option of installing services for netware communication ...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/intwork/ince_net_mvse.asp?frame=true

I really don't know if I am going in the right direction here becuase like you said you are using windows printer sharing service. But maybe its worth reading into ...

Windows 2000 in a Netware Enviorment:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/Windows2000Pro/deploy/confeat/netware.mspx

cheers!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us