Question : Problem: Need simple advice on upgrading RAM for my Dell Inspiron 9200

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook that needs some additional RAM.  It currently has 512 mb of ram (256 in each of two slots).  I believe I have read somewhere that this model has a maximum capacity of 1 mb of total RAM, but elsewhere I read I could put a total of 2 mb in.  I couldn't find any help on the Dell site, without paying for a pricey support package since this laptop is out of warranty.

My questions are these:  
1.  Where can I get a definitive answer on the upper limit of RAM memory this machine will accept?  
2.  Do the memory "modules" have to mirror each other in each of the two slots (could there be a 512mb in one slot and a 1gb in the other)?
3.  Is there any real advantage in buying the memory from Dell, who of course claims vital compatibility in upgrade parts.
4.  If aftermarket memory modules are acceptable, can someone recommend a reliable brand and reasonably priced source?

Thanks so much for any help anyone can provide.

Answer : Problem: Need simple advice on upgrading RAM for my Dell Inspiron 9200

The above mentioned website answrs all of the questions yuou asked!

1.  Where can I get a definitive answer on the upper limit of RAM memory this machine will accept?  
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%209200

2.  Do the memory "modules" have to mirror each other in each of the two slots (could there be a 512mb in one slot and a 1gb in the other)?
A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

3. I explained Question 3 Above.

4. You can do an online price comarison , Use this link to Google: dell inspiron 9200 memory
     Which I did to get your answers for you.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-45,GGLJ:en&q=dell+inspiron+9200+memory

Wes

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us