Question : Problem: Advice on new gaming PC

Hello,

I want to buy a new gaming pc. I came across a decent, slightly used PC which goes for £550:

Asus p6t x58 motherboard
i7 920 2.66ghz 1366 skt.
3gb triple channel ddr3 1333 mhz.
320gb sata hard drive
250gb sata hard drive (both in raid 0)
LG blu-ray/hd drive.
domino alc cpu watercooling system.
600 watt psu
radeon hd4870 512mb gddr5 with a accelero twin turbo gpu cooler.

The only thing which I am not satisfied with is the graphics card and the PSU. Therefore I thought that I might buy this setup, sell the card and PSU and buy a GTX295 and a 1000 watt cooler master PSU.  In total this system will cost me around £1100, which I think is a good price.

However, my main concern is the motherboard. Is it good enough for the graphic card and is it future proof if I decide to plug in another GTX295? Additionally, in order to set up my PC in SLI, what do I need to do, just buy an identical graphics card?

Is this worth it or should I buy a completely new setup? My budget is around £1500 without monitor.

Answer : Problem: Advice on new gaming PC

It looks like a good base system, and the improvements you suggest are worthwhile.  If you intend to use SLI, it would be a good idea to step up to 1000 watts, as the GTX295 requires a large amount of power (289 watts).  The GTX295 is typically matched against a Radeon 4870 X2, so it is a significant step up from a single 4870.  The P6T can handle SLI or Crossfire, so all you would need for SLI is another GTX295 and the SLI bridge, but the GTX295 is plenty powerful by itself.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us