Question : Problem: How do I stop the Add Hardware Wizard?

I am about to lose my mind over this one.  I have a friends laptop.  It is a Compaq Presario V5204NR.  I replaced the hard drive in it and upped the memory to 1GB.  I did a fresh install of Win XP. (SATA drivers on an external floppy, etc.)  All went well.  Windows update complete, the whole nine yards. Except.... The driver for the video controller refuses to work.  I have tried on several occasions to use the one that HP says is meant for this and it ends up tiling the entire screen into triple desktops. I uninstall the video driver and I am back to normal.  

Upon restart, I get the Found New Hardware Wizard.  Happens everytime.  It is looking to install the Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family.  I downloaded it from HP. Installed it. Upon restart, I get the three screens tiled again AND the wizard pops up again.

If I uninstall the VGA controller, then I can operate the computer as normal.  All function work fine.  Until I restart... then the wizard again.  I hit cancel, then everything is normal.

I went so far as to pay HP next day shipping for a replacement recovery disk.  Reinstalled Windows using the recovery disk and I am back to the same old problem (with a ton of bloatware to get rid of now.)

It's not real cool for me to return the computer to my friend like this.  I really need a solution.

Answer : Problem: How do I stop the Add Hardware Wizard?

It's not an ideal solution, but what happens if you disable the device?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us