Question : Problem: Ghost application usage

Hard drive replacement ibm thinkpad T42

I need to upgrade the hard drive as i am out of space. If I ghost it, and restore on the new hard drive, will i get all of my files and full setup?
Or do i need to restart with the operating system install and all applications after a backup of data files.

Answer : Problem: Ghost application usage

If you clone or ghost your hard drive, it is an exact copy (if done correctly) so you do NOT need to reinstall anything.

For a laptop, which can hold only one internal hard drive, the most common method is to use an external hard drive:  
1. Create a backup image file (not the same as a clone, but essentially same use) of your ENTIRE hard drive and save the backup image file on a folder of a external hard drive (very cheap now)
2. Shut down
3. Remove old laptop hard drive
4. Install new blank unused unformatted bigger hard drive
5. boot from recovery CD
6. Restore your backup image file from the external usb2 hard drive onto the new blank hard drive.  Formatting and everything taken care automatically.

Acronis True Image
www.acronis.com

It also has option to expand partition sizes on restore.  Read the manual and be sure to backup the ENTIRE hard drive.  Laptops often have additional hidden partitions in addition to the normal c: partition.  You want True Image to copy everything.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us